Sunday, February 18, 2007


What's Wrong with the World Mamma?
I'm not sure how to begin this post, or what exactly to say, or how to word what I am feeling. Images of Martin Luther King, Jr, Mahatma Ghandi, Rosie Parks, Nelson Mandella, even Malcolm X flash through my head...
Do I love Brasil? Yes. Do I love my life in Brasil? Yes. Am I completely disgusted at this place right now? YES.
But what does a person do when they are directly associated to blatent racism? Segregation? Discrimination? Last night, Sierra's babysitter was not allowed to swim with her in the pool when Joe and I were out taking in Carnival festivities. The excuse: she's not a resident in the condominium.
The truth: she's black.
Just last week, when our friends came to swim, there was no issue when both the adults and their one year old daughter jumped in. Friday, when I checked with the lifeguard about regulations, I was told: no problem, of course. Last night, she was not allowed to swim! I'm saddened, I'm sickened, I'm frustrated, I'm irrate.

No comments: