Monday, February 26, 2007

It's the least I could do...

Who we love and appreciate and respect throughout our lives, often live their entire lives without hearing how grateful we really are. My parents...my shining stars...my examples...I would not be the woman I am today without them. They taught me, through example, to be honest, respectful, fair, and happy. They taught me that it's ok to be mad but don't be mean. They taught me that people sometimes deserve a second or a third chance. They taught me to stand up for what is right and to protest what I believe is wrong. They taught me that a little goes a long way. They taught me that when life hands us lemons we make lemonade and to count our mistakes as blessings for without a mistake we don't truly learn. Mostly, they taught me to be firm and tender to have fun and be responsible; they taught me to love and trust and how to build a strong family--all through their example.

I have watched my mom and dad live together, raise children together, suffer hard times together, lose their parents together, battle cancers together, pray together, grow together, celebrate life together.

I read Robert Fulgum’s book "All I Really Needed to Know I learned in Kindergarten" but the truth is, "All I really needed to know, I learned from my parents."

As they celebrate their 39th wedding anniversary this Friday, from thousands of miles away, I say THANK YOU for showing me the true meaning of a happy marriage, of a supporting lifelong commitment, and a true partnership

and I LOVE YOU!

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Happy Anniversary, Sara's Mom & Dad!!! I wish you many more years of happiness!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary Gene and Di - you deserve all the best! Congratulations!

MaryM said...

What an amazing tribute to your amazing parents! Congratulations to them... and may there be many, many more!
I am a fan of yours!