Thursday, May 08, 2008

Succumbing to Brazilian life

I have finally broke down. I did what I have been saying for almost 2 years I did not think I would do while living here. I have finally cracked. It has taken over...and I am ecstatic.
I hired a MAID!!
Now granted, she will only work for me one day a week, and I am requiring more of her than simply dusting my ceiling fans, so for all practical purposes we will call her our new do-everything gal.
The new do-everything gal will work for us on Fridays. She will arrive after we have left for school and immaculately clean our apartment before we return from school in the afternoon. During the day, she will specifically iron my clothes, go to the farmer's market for fresh produce, and chase the dust bunnies from the corners of our humble home. Her day will not end there, however, after we are finished with our school day the do-everything gal will stay with us to keep a watchful eye over Sierra as I take a moment to recouperate from what are often long days at work. On Saturday mornings, she will walk to the local bakery, pick up a few loaves of fresh french bread for us (their mini ones, not full sized), and prepare a pot of coffee for me before going home.
All of this for $65.00! Very much worth it.
She comes highly recommended from my good friend Francesca. She worked for Francesca for almost six years. She was released from duties only because Francesca no longer needed a maid as well as a nanny. Francesca was sorry to see her go, but the budget was not accomodating employing two people. Sierra grew fond of this new do-everything gal quickly today when we met her for the first time, and both Sierra and I are looking forward to our first day with her tomorrow. I will leave work tomorrow afternoon knowing I will walk into a sparkling, clean house. I will be able to rest for a moment before endulging in an afternoon walk by myself along the beach (I'm in dire need of "alone" time of late). I will return home to shower and change in time to leave for my monthly book club meeting worry-free, knowing that Sierra is in good hands in the comfort of her own home.
The silver lining my friends. I am learning that life is all about the silver linings. Find them! Where ever they may be. Cherish them! Celebrate them! Smile for the simple things.

2 comments:

jilldaisbrenne said...

Good for you! I'm a bit jealous, though. But good for you!!

Tammy said...

Wow! Good for you! But I have to admit, I am a bit jealous as well...

Enjoy!