Sunday, March 23, 2008

What's for dinner....solved!
There were many guesses for this little game I decided to play with my blog readers. I am sure you have all been checking back often to learn the answer to the question: What's for dinner? Some guesses were a bit strange, but I am here today to release you from your incessant wonder. If you remember, this is what it starts out as:

One anonymous commenter thought it might be:

Yet another guessed:


And still another thought maybe:


I'm really surprised nobody guessed:


since I often say Joe likes to eat Filet Meow from the street vendors. However, there was a more realistic (really, where do you think we live, dog? horse? MONKEY? come on. Brazil is a third world country, but the people are not uncivilized) guess of:


But, in the end it is merely the:


Good 'ol BEEF. This cut is Picanha, which we talk about frequently as being our favorite cut of meat here. I never thought I could be a person who actually craves meat, but after having picanha, I do!


This is what it looks like part way through the cooking process with quite a bit all ready shaved off and eaten. For those of you who guessed it to be the same meat used in gyros, you were correct in the manner in which it is cooked. You slow cook the picanha over hot coals and shave pieces off to eat as you go. Similar to what they do with lamb used in gyros.When cooked at home, it becomes a social process meal. It is not a sit down meal. We typically hang out on the veranda and munch as it cooks. Now this blog idea was born out of the comments made by Joe and my sister Dana when she was visiting, and we cooked a picanha at home. They too had their opinion of what the meat looks like when it is raw and first placed over the coals. I have to say that I am happy to know that none of my readers guessed what they thought it looks like! At the same time, I am a little nervous about both of their perspectives.


So what is picanha, exactly? You might ask since it is not a cut of beef regularly available in the US. Here is a diagram showing which part of the cow picanha comes from. And for those of you ultra-curious about how it tastes after this little culinary lesson, visit Fogo de Chao Churrascaria in Mpls, a Brazilian style barbeque. They have it available there. http://www.fogodechao.com/ There is a growing number of Brazilian Churrascarias in the states now. I think it is a a reflection of the popularization of Brazilian culture in the states. Porcao is another chain throughout the states, including New York, Miami, and Houston for those of you outside of Mpls.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mom,
Nice blog entry it was so funny but some of it I didn't understand. But daddy told me he laughed alot so I thought I would read it. And I am very glad I did! It was kinda funny! No it was! HAHAHAHAHAHA...!


Your sweet, loving daughter,
Sierra

Anonymous said...

no way that is not come on it sure did not look like beef