Saturday, March 01, 2008

Sierra Voltou!!!! (Sierra Returned!!!)

Sierra and her classmates returned from their week long retreat yesterday afternoon full of smiles and stories. The kids were full of energy as they came off the buses, ready to see Moms and Dads. We sat for a while at one of the kiosks at the Lagoa with one of Sierra's friends and her mom, talking about all the experiences the girls had throughout the week. It was like a debate between Sierra and Luisa to see who would be able to tell the story faster than the other. Both of them were so excited and giggly.
Sierra's first request: I Want Picanha!!!
I should have known she would come home hungry and ready for a big meal of Brazilian picanha. After the Lagoa, Joe, Sierra and I, along with our friend Suzanne, ventured into Gavea where we enjoyed one of our favorite meals here. During dinner, Sierra continued to tell stories of the week's adventures. At the same time, she started to fade. She was exhausted!
Coming home, I was anxious to look inside her suitcase to see how well she was able to rearrange her things for the travels home. We asked her during dinner what she had done with her wet clothes. Her reply, "I'm not sure. I don't remember."
This is what her suitcase looked like Sunday night:I thought for sure it would be nothing like this when it returned Friday evening. However....This is what I saw when I opened it.And those wet clothes she "couldn't remember" doing anything with are all neatly in the plastic bags, protected, on top! The little stinker!
She's was ready for some serious snuggle time with Mom last night. So, Joe forfeited his side of the bed to her, and she and I laid together, talking for about an hour and a half before falling to sleep. She was a mixture of emotions: happy to see me, sad to have had to say good bye to the counselors at the camp, and re-living a not so happy friend moment from the week. There were tears and giggles and smiles and sighs. It was a good time for Mom and Daughter to spend together. This morning when she woke, I opened my eyes to her face within inches of mine, and through her sparkling eyes she said, "Mom, I am so happy to be home again with you!"
AHHHH, my baby!

1 comment:

Jill said...

This made me want to cry. You are very lucky to have a daughter, especially one you are this close to. Cherish it forever. I know you will.