Tuesday, March 13, 2007

I must have turned over a new leaf.


This month has become a month of resolutions so to say. As you read in an earlier posting, I spent a Sat afternoon playing softball, which I hadn't done in nearly 15 or more years. This week I decided to join a volleyball team with a colleague of mine at her club near the lagoa. I lived for team sports growing up. When I wasn't practicing or competing in a game, I was training. At one point in my "career" I was leg pressing 385 lbs. in efforts to improve my hops. Well, I have shockingly come to learn, if this activity sits idle for a decade or more, the muscles will SCREAM bloody murder the first time they are again pushed to the limits.
Last night was my first night at Clube Militar playing indoor volleyball--in an over 30 league I might add! It was one hour of kick your butt drills and one hour of 4 on 4 scrimmage. By the second 4 on 4 scrimmage match, my thighs were burning and screaming and tensing and burning and aching and screaming and I pushed on! Why? you might ask. Because it was unbelievably fun!!
At the end of our 2 hours, my colleague asked if I wanted to continue coming every week. She was letting me know that if I wanted "an out" I had one, but if I wanted to remain with the team, I needed to pay the R$35 for the coach's fee for the month. I said, 'Yes! Who do I pay?" despite the onset of extreme muscle pain in my legs.
I paid the team "captain" and walked--gingerly-- from the gym with my colleague at which time she informed me that the coach is Brazil's Pairs Beach Volleyball Coach from the '04 games in Athens!! Hello!! No wonder I just had the workout of the decade.
Today, my forearms are bruised, but my legs feel much better. I intend to do some biking in the coming days to make sure next Monday doesn't leave my muscles as fatigued as last night's practice.
BTW: I still got it!!

1 comment:

Tammy said...

You go, girl!!