Thursday, March 29, 2007

I am the granddaughter and daughter of breast cancer survivors. I am the mother of a daughter. I am the sister to a sister. I am the friend to many beautiful women. My daughter, at 8 years old, has all ready been witness to courageous fights against cancer by people she loves, yet she continues to ask me, "Mom, what can I do?" "We can I always pray," is what I usually tell her. And sometimes we can do a little something else...
For several years, our Mother's Day tradition was to participate in the Susan G. Koman Race for the Cure with my mother, extended family and friends. This year my mother will walk again with team "Udderly Breast Friends" in the mother's day event in Bloomington, MN.

http://www.racecure.org/site3.aspx

In 2005, I walked and walked and walked and walked and walked 60 miles in 3 Days with team Fight Like a Girl in the Susan G. Koman Twin Cities Breast Cancer 3 Day. Words cannot express the emotion involved with either of these two events. The strength, the community, the fight, the progress shown in masses joined in common pursuit of a common goal -- finding a cure -- is beyond words.

2007's Race for the Cure will go on despite the fact that my daughter and I will not be able to physically participate. My mother continues to walk. My mother continues to survive. My daughter continues to ask, "Mom, what can I do?"

Today I found something she can do:

http://www.lifetimetv.com/breastcancer/petition/signpetition.php

Lifetime television and grammy award winning singer/songwriter Jewel have an online petition urging congress to pass the bipartisan Breast Cancer Patient Protection Act of 2005 (S 910/HR1849). All you have to do is click on the link, read the additional information provided regarding the bill, fill in the required fields and submit.
There are many things in this life beyond my control, and thankfully the power of prayer and strong Faith help me manage the fear that sometimes takes me by surprise. As I pass this on to my daughter, having learned it from my mother, I am also grateful that there are little things to do that also make a difference. Things we can share. Pass it on...

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Thanks for the message...

This has also been a family tradition for us since 1999 when my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer.

I'm looking forward to the walk again this year. I can't think of a better place to spend Mother's Day!