Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween...in Brazil???

The doorbell just rang. It's 9:15. I open the door to find 7 kids from the condominium with plastic bags in hand, yelling (with a Brazilian accent in English) "Trick OR Treat!" Kids don't trick or treat here. Luckily, I have a bag of Jolly Ranchers in the cupboard for emergencies (not this kind). The emergency is usually my own desire for something sweet and American! There is a half eaten bag of Reese's peanut butter cups in the fridge--but there's no way I was giving those away tonight--Brazilians don't even like peanut butter and we DO! After telling them they were all crazy! Cala boca! Fala seria meninos! (Shuuttt Up! Be serious boys and girls.) I calmly added, "Espera." (Wait) Walked to the kitchen cabinet, retrieved the bag of Jolly Ranchers and kindly passed ONE (Jolly Ranchers are hard to come by here, not they are nonexistent here) to each child. Too bad Sierra was all ready fast asleep.

No comments: