Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Rio to Miami, Miami to Chicago, Chicago to Minneapolis, Minneapolis to
Hamline University Graduation!!!
I left Rio last Thursday night on an overnight flight to Miami, changed planes and headed to Chicago in order to connect to a flight bound for Mpls Friday morning. Awaiting me, looking as beautiful as ever, was my mother at baggage claim! It was a whirl wind of a weekend and worth every last minute of lost sleep, weary, blurry eyed walks through a number of airports and the stiffness from sitting in an airplane seat for the total of approximately 15 hours. All worth it for a few hours with family, colleagues, and friends.
Saturday, May 19th, I walked in my third commencement ceremony. This time earning my MaED. I can't express the joy, the pride, or the sense of accomplishment that was felt. There are not words fitting. I was particularly happy when I opened the package with my cap and gown Friday night to find the traditional graduate school "hood" that adorns the attire. This is the stuff dreams are made of....
A point of particular joy was being able to attend my cousin Kate's graduation from the Hamline College of Liberal Arts. Kate graduated with a BA in English, just as I did from Hamline CLA in 1995. It was very special for me when she made the decision to attend my alma mater four years ago, and even more special to me this past weekend when I was able to share in her accomplishments. She graduated Summa Cum Laude might I add! So, although I look a little weathered in this picture of the two of us, it will remain a great memory for me.
Keren was my peer reviewer in my capstone work. As a professional writer herself, you can only imagine the added expertise she offered to my work through the revision process. She was my wordsmither. She caught the random tense changes I made in error and polished my sometimes too informal writing style. I am forever grateful for her help on this work. On a side note, Keren and I met during my second year of undergrad at Hamline when I began working for her and her husband as the nanny of their first born, Gus. It was a wonderful surprise to see Gus with Keren on Sat. I didn't know he was coming to the commencement. I vividly remember days with him as an infant and toddler playing throughout their house and walking to Lake Harriet or the park. Now, I have to look up to see into his eyes. I'm not sure if Keren is aware that I have modeled much of my own parenting practices after what I observed in her as a new mother. She is a phenomenal woman and friend.
The final picture here is of my very good friends from my learning community. From Left to Right: Tina, Marcia, Terry, Tania, and myself. These women, along with several others from my cohort, were monumental in my transformation process. They are all incredible women. What a blessing to have been able to hug and congratulate each of them Sat. and to thank Marcia and Terry for their guidance and knowledge shared.
So, after a very crazy weekend: Minneapolis to Dallas, Dallas to Miami, Miami to Rio and Nap time!!

2 comments:

MaryM said...

Milestones and Memories! Your life is full...
Congratulations.
MaryM

Tammy said...

Congrats, Sara! I'm proud of you!!

I hope you're all rested up by now...