Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Family Dinner and Gratitude

We reinstated a family practice tonight--dinner together around the TABLE. I know, seems trivial, but in all honesty we have been slacking. In recent weeks, we have taken to eating dinner in three different locations: Sierra in front of the television, me in front of the computer and Joe standing in the kitchen. I don't really know how we let this happen, but we did. Thankfully, last night we all put our foot down. Enough is enough. And tonight...

The table was set, dinner was placed on the table, grace was said, and conversation ensued. After dinner, we three remained around the table with one another for an additional 30 minutes--no background noise from the television or music playing from the computer--just each other.

My stomache is now sore, not from overeating but from laughing, and my heart is warm with the joy that my family brings me simply from being near them. For that simple and seemingly obvious reminder, I am grateful.

Life gets busy. We all get tired. We have so many responsibilities and distractions. It's important to remember what is important--the people we love.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Sara,
So I just figured out how to do this...love your blog and especially the pictures. I just read the posting about Sierra's tooth problems - Ouch! Hope she's doing better now. I agree with your ideas about sitting down together for meals. When we have our grandkids here one of our favorite traditions is having grandpa fix pancakes and bacon for breakfast. After we eat we play a couple of rounds of "animal guessing game." Enough for now, it's time for dinner. : - )

Diane

Sara Wicht said...

Diane,
It is so funny that you say that because we ended our dinner laughter making different cat and dog sounds. It was quite comical.

Tammy said...

Sara, what a great post!