Monday, April 09, 2007

Easter in the Mountains

We spent Easter weekend in the mountains, about 2 hours drive outside of Rio, with three other families. Another American/Brazilian family from school has a fazenda (farm) in the mountains and invited us to join them for the holiday. It was a blessed and relaxingly peaceful weekend in the country. The two scenery shots here are taken looking out from the main house and the smaller house where we slept. Again, the landscapes here are breathtaking, whether oceanside or in the mountains. I was able to read two People magazines, finish one novel, take a couple of relaxing and refreshing nature walks, and sleep early.
The drive there and back were both during the night, so unfortunately, we weren't able to observe the scenery coming or going. Instead we dealt with lots of traffic a little bit of rain and one another's company in the dark car. BUT, it was my first driving experience in Brazil. I have to say, after 8 months without driving, I felt like a grown up again! I am also happy to say, I was successful in my navigation of busy Rio traffic, even when my lane ran out and I ended up smooshed between two cars...ahhh, city living.

Here is Sierra with the other girls painting Easter eggs on the veranda Saturday afternoon. She had so much fun running around, playing with the other kids and the dogs and rolling in the lush green grass.




Thankfully, the Easter Bunny found all of the kids on the farm, and they enjoyed a fast and furious Easter egg hunt Sunday morning. Here's the whole gang with their loot!










One benefit of being in the mountains is the cooler weather. It was in the 50s at night and surprisingly felt quite chilly to us all. The other benefit in the cooler weather is being able to fix pizza in the outdoor woodburning pizza oven. PIZZA WILL NEVER TASTE THE SAME AGAIN! I couldn't believe how good it tasted hot out of the "oven". I certainly hope that you all enjoyed your holiday as much as we did. Many blessings to you all.

1 comment:

jilldaisbrenne said...

What great views! Sounds like a fantastic Easter holiday