Saturday, September 02, 2006



This week marked one month in Brazil. The time is going quickly; we are all still adjusting, yet starting to actually feel "at home", which is a great feeling. The weather this week has been cool and rainy. Coming from MN, I have gotten a little bit of grief from a few friends for claiming that it is cold. However, for anyone who has lived in a more humid climate, it is known that a wet cold is different than the dry cold of the MN winters. But, no, there isn't any snow--except in the bad dream I had last week. It has snowed in RIO! What a nightmare! I guess I am missing the beach as we haven't been since last weekend and this weekend isn't looking promising. :-)
Experienced my first fire drill at school this week and I had to laugh when we were congratulated for clearing the buildings in 11 minutes! I remember days at Oak View when we were encouraged to speed things up because it was taking 90 seconds to clear the building. We were celebrated for getting the kids all down to the soccer field in 11 minutes! Perspective I tell you is an incredible thing!!!
I am attaching a couple of pictures today. They're from a couple of weeks ago, but I figured it was time to put another shot or two for people to view. Vicks is still waiting for a picture of a hot Brasileiro in a sunga (speedo) but I have informed her that she will have to wait until the weather gets a little better. Until then...you all get a shot of Sierra with her birthday cake and another of Cocovado (Christ the Redeemer).
We have made friends with our portiero (doorman), Washington. He speaks like Donald Duck to Sierra (in Portuguese). You all didn't know Donald Duck was bilingual did ya? And he is adding English words to his vocabulary. It is kind of sweet when we walk by and he says, "HeLOW." with a big smile. I told him the other day that his English was coming along nicely and he got very embarrassed and said, NO!!! It is nice to come and go to such a friendly face. Perhaps one day I'll have a picture of Washington to add to the blog so you all know who we are talking about.
As I sit and think about what else there is to add here, my mind is drawing a blank. We have been thinking of all our family and friends celebrating the "end of summer" as this weekend is Labor Day in the states. Ihope you all got the chance to enjoy a barbeque or two and maybe some bocce ball in the yard with those close by. We are anxious to see if Brazilian Independence is anything compared to our favorite American Holiday--The Fourth of July! We'll let you all know after next weekend.
Much love and biejos (kisses) to all!

No comments: