Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Channeling Robert Frost
A reflection about leaving Our Lady of Mercy School

Mr. Rundle opened the OLM 2012 Commencement Ceremony with a reading of Robert Frost’s “The Road Not Taken.” As I sat and listened to the poem, remembering from earlier readings the beauty of artful words, I thought to myself, “I took the road less traveled [by], and that HAS made all the difference.” As an expat in Rio de Janeiro, it is not uncommon to be reminded of all the differences choices make. I have been extremely blessed with rich experiences. It is possible, however, that I am channeling Robert Frost as I find myself preparing to enter the road less traveled once again.


The Southern Poverty Law Center (www.splcenter.org) is a nonprofit civil rights organization dedicated to fighting hate and bigotry, and to seeking justice for the most vulnerable members of society. They are headquartered in Montgomery, AL. This NGO has an innovative Teaching Tolerance (www.tolerance.org) program which produces and distributes – free of charge – documentary films, books, lesson plans and other materials that promote tolerance and respect in American schools. I have been offered a position with Teaching Tolerance—my new road revealed.
This is particularly exciting to me because I believe the root of American education comes from a promise Americans made in 1964. With the signing of the Civil Rights Act, we promised to educate—equally—all children in the United States of America. This is no small promise however, and 48 years later, my home country continues to work toward fulfilling this promise in materials, practices, facilities, and opportunities for school-aged children in the United States. This “road not taken” gives me the chance to participate in fulfilling a nation’s promise to its children. However appropriate to my individual philosophies and ideals the work at SPLC may be, the decision to take on this challenge, to walk down this road, is by no definition an easy one. I have been a part of the OLM community a mere 11 months, but in that time I have grown a great deal. I have made friends. I have learned. I have shared. I have been reminded of the amazing work that comes out of the presence of faith. “Commit your works to the LORD, and your plans will be established” (Proverbs 16:3).
I feel the need to make sure children have an advocate. Plans are established if faith is present. The hardest thing about teaching is definitely reaching all students [teachers] effectively. Working cooperatively requires us to consider the human variable. “Commit your works to the Lord”.
And although I am “sorry I could not travel both” roads, I am grateful to OLM for the year of growth it has generously provided me. I am a little scared about this next road that I am about to walk down, but mostly I am excited about the amazing opportunity to create change and fight for social justice.

1 comment:

Diane said...

Good on ya girl. If there isn't a little bit of fear behind the decisions we are making, then we need to make bigger decisions. Cheers for showing up BIG. xo