Sunday, October 08, 2006


Ziggy Marley and Rio de Janeiro....
2 of my favorite things
Life doesn't get much better than this! Saturday night, or more accurately, early Sunday morning, Ziggy played live in Rio (Lapa technically, a district of Rio near Centro and a short city bus ride from home) and I enjoyed every minute of it despite the fact that I returned home only at 4:45 a.m. The clouds and rain made sleeping most of the day Sunday easy after a late night. Thankfully, I had all of my work done, nothing pressing for attention, Joe watching over Sierra and her friend, and I was actually able to sleep.

Ziggy started at 2 a.m. What an experience! He recently released a new album, "Love is my Religion" but continues to resemble his father in sound and stage presence. He didn't do anything acoustic, which was a little disappointing. When I saw him in 2001, he did a whole set without the band and covered several Bob Marley songs--my favorite acoustic version "Redemption Song". Although he covered many of his late father's music, Ziggy's new music is really good and the crowd participation last night was quite the experience to be a part of.

No comments: