Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Bikinis and Congas
So as of Sunday, the total number of bikinis occupying my closet is 9! And the conga, a must have with each bikini (you can't imagine the limitless possibilities with this piece of fabric! It's ingenious.), is up to 10! I'm starting to believe this may be a borderline obsession. I didn't even attempt to add up the number of Havaianas in the other closet, which also are a must have with each bikini. I was too shocked when I actually saw ALL of the bikinis and congas together in one space at the same time. I could totally open a secondhand bikini shop. Would you buy a 'used' bikini? hmmm, good question. Not so sure I would.
This all started me thinking...maybe it's a reflection of my environment (ya think?). When I lived in Houston, did I overbuy any certain item? Let's think.
Did I have 9 cowboy hats? Uh, no.
Did I have 10 pairs of cowboy boots? Uh, no.
Maybe I had 9 horses...ok ok, so there is more to Texas than cowboys and cowboy gear.
How about when I lived in Minnesota?
Did I have 9 pairs of snow pants? Uh, no.
Did I have 10 scarfs? Uh, wait...I think we might be on to something.
How about 10 different cozy winter hats? Indeed! I believe I had at LEAST 10 at one point. (I liked hats a lot for several years.)
So for now, the current environment is forcing me to overbuy bikinis and more or less, beach wear.
let's face it. A girl does need at least two bikinis. If you venture to the beach two days in a row, which I often do, it is likely that the bikini worn the first day is still damp the morning of the second day. We all know the unpleasantness of attempting to wear a still wet bikini. However, I'm pretty sure that by the third day in a row on the beach, which I often have, that first bikini is good and dry. It could be worn again...
Well, here's my proof:I think I may need to seek professional help on this one. It just seems a little excessive. I'm going to work on repairing this situation. I will not buy another bikini the ENTIRE month of February! (I know, big sacrifice.)
I am curious though. Is there anything in your closet, in ridiculous numbers, that you know deep down you don't really NEED yet you continue to buy just ONE more of?

1 comment:

katie said...

Mine isn't clothing, but it is cloth. I own and continue to purchase so many canvas bags! I rarely use more than two at a time, yet I have close to 15.

I just realized I also have 5 pairs of yoga pants and 8 yoga tops. I would love to have your problem, though! :)

XOXO